Privacy notice – Housing benefit and council tax reduction
This Benefit Service and Lewisham Council are committed to complying with the General Data Protection Regulation. Looking after the personal information you share with us is very important, and we want you to be confident that your personal data is kept safely and securely and to understand how we use it to offer you a better and more personalised experience.
We have published this notice to help you understand:
- how and why the Customer Service Centre collect information from you
- who we share your information with, why and on what basis.
What information we collect
When you request services from us, in order for us to deliver this service, we will ask you to provide some personal information such as:
- date of birth
- national insurance number
- income and capital/savings
- contact details
- household/relationships information
- relevant case information
- landlord details
- other agencies directly involved.
Agencies we might share the information with
Customer information held by the Benefit Service may be shared internally and for some services externally including:
- Department for Work and Pensions
- other local authorities
- the Home Office
- enforcement agencies.
We will share information in the course of carrying out our functions, or to enable others to perform theirs and for the prevention of fraud.
Why we process your information
- statutory awarding of housing benefit and council tax reduction
- statutory managing accounts and processing of claims
- prevention and detection of fraud and criminal activity
- service delivery
- service planning.
During the process delivery, based on the circumstances of the enquiry if an activity is raised which generates a confirmation e-mail to a customer, an invitation will be included to participate in a customer feedback survey. The process is carried out internally using data capture software and this type of feedback allows us to enhance and develop services based on the general consensus. All customer feedback captured remains anonymous therefore no personal details are retained.