Ultra-low emission zone
We want your help with improving our website so it is easier to use, and provides the information that residents need. Help us by filling in this short survey.
What the ultra-low emission zone means
The ultra-low emission zone (ULEZ) is now in place in central London, in the same area as the congestion charge zone. Vehicles will need to meet the new, stricter exhaust emission standards or pay £12.50 to travel in that zone.
Unlike the congestion zone which only operates from 7am–6pm, Monday to Friday, the ULEZ operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Check if your vehicle complies
If you travel into the ULEZ and your vehicle does not comply with the new exhaust emission standards, you will have to pay the ULEZ charge as well as the weekday congestion charge.
If your vehicle complies with the emissions standards then you won’t have to pay the ULEZ charge.
If your vehicle does not comply with the new standards find out how to pay the charge through Auto Pay
Why the ULEZ has been introduced
The ULEZ is part of the Mayor of London’s plan to discourage the use of the most polluting vehicles and help improve air quality in London.
Bad air quality is extremely damaging to the lives of thousands of children and older people in London. It increases people’s risk of heart and lung disease, as well as conditions like asthma.
How the ULEZ will affect Lewisham
The ULEZ will be expanding on 21 October 2021 to include all roads within the North and South Circular (A205).
- If you live or drive in this area, check your vehicle to see if it complies with the new exhaust standards.
- If you drive along the South Circular, you won’t have to pay the ULEZ charge unless you turn into the ULEZ.
- There won’t be tolls or barriers. Cameras will monitor vehicles entering the zone and you will receive a fine for your journey in the post if your vehicle doesn't comply with the new exhaust standards.
Alternative transport for cleaner travel
Why not look into other sustainable and healthier ways to travel in and around the borough without using your car?
- Find out more information about using public transport in Lewisham.
- You can borrow a bike for a month.
- Request or book a free cycle lesson for adults or children.
- Find out how to rent a space for your bike.
- Find out about walking for transport.
- Download our Lewisham Air app to find low-pollution walking routes.
Car clubs and electric vehicle charging points
Scrappage schemes for micro businesses and charities
A scrappage scheme for micro businesses and charities has been launched by the Mayor of London. Eligible businesses or charities can apply for funds to scrap up to three older minibuses or vans in order to switch to cleaner vehicles.