Changes to Pay and Display parking
We have introduced emissions-based short stay parking across the borough. This means that when you park in a bay that requires a Cashless parking session to be purchased, the amount you pay will be charged based on your vehicle’s emissions.
Why we are introducing emissions-based short stay parking
On 15 January 2020, Mayor and Cabinet approved the introduction of emissions-based parking permits, meaning that all permit holders would be charged for their permit based on their emissions. These permits came into force on 1 April 2020.
Having reviewed parking across the borough and to align with emissions-based parking permits and the Council’s wider climate change agenda, Mayor and Cabinet approved the introduction of emissions-based short stay parking charges. To facilitate the introduction of emissions-based short stay parking charges, Mayor and Cabinet also approved the move to a cashless system.
Emissions-based Short Stay Parking Charges
Vehicles will be split into 5 bands, and where your vehicle falls will be based on the amount of carbon emissions your vehicle produces. This came into effect on 1 March 2022.
Please see the table below that shows the bandings and the price per hour for each band. Vehicles that are petrol, electric or euro 6 compliant diesel vehicles will pay the charges below. Non-euro 6 compliant diesel vehicles will pay a £2 surcharge.
Petrol, electric and euro 6 compliant diesel vehicles (charge per hour)
Up to 100 CO2g/km
Up to 130 CO2g/km
Up to 165 CO2g/km
Up to 200 CO2g/km
Up to 256+ CO2g/km
Non Euro 6 compliant
Prices will be charged pro rata from 15 minutes up to all day where permitted.
In order to facilitate emissions-based charges, we are moving to a cashless system for short stay parking. This means that all pay machines across the borough will be removed, and customers will need to use the Cashless provider app, website or telephone number in order to purchase a parking session.
PayByPhone is the most convenient way to pay for parking. Either use the app, do it online, or call us.
Using the app
- Download the PayByPhone app from the Google Play and iOS App store.
- Enter your location code - This is the code you wish to park in as advertised on street signage.
- Enter the time duration you wish to park for - Check the details, then confirm your selection.
- Extend your parking at anytime - Add more time from wherever you are. Simply open the app and add time to your current parking meter.
- Alternatively, visitors can call the IVR number 0800 546 0610.
- Respond to the prompts - Existing users will be prompted to enter the 4 or 5 digit location number and parking time required. New users will be guided through a registration process.
- Wait for your parking to be confirmed - Once you have had confirmation you may leave your vehicle. Parking details will be sent to the handheld units the Parking Enforcement Officers patrol with.
- Extend your parking at anytime - Simply call the number you dialled in Step 1. Your account will be recognised and you will be given the option to extend your parking session or to start a new one.
- Simply send a text message to 65565 with your location (see on-street signage), the duration you wish to park for, and the 3 digit security code (CVV2) on the back of your payment card to park the last used vehicle on your account.
Duration format for SMS messages: 1m - 1 minute, 1h - 1 hour, 1d - 1 day.
- Wait for your parking space to be confirmed - You will receive a text message back confirming your parking has started. Please do not leave your vehicle until you have received this confirmation message.
- Extend your parking anytime - You can extend your parking session at any time by sending a message with just 'DURATION CVV2'.
- If you make a mistake, you can stop a parking session within the first 5 minutes of it starting by simply sending a message with the word 'FINISH'. In some locations, 'FINISH' can be used at any time prior to the end of your parking.
To park a different vehicle already on your account, add the required number plate after the CVV2 e.g. 12345 1h 111 TEST123.
Find your nearest PayPoint location
Should users still wish to pay with cash, this will be available in local shops that offer a PayPoint payment option. To locate your nearest PayPoint location, you can either text 'CASH' followed by the location code (see on-street signage) to 60075, or visit the PayPoint website.
Short Stay Parking for Motorcycles
We are currently in the process of reviewing motorcycle parking charges. On 12 January 2022, Mayor and Cabinet approved the amended proposed pricing structure for motorcycle parking charges. It is proposed that, subject to statutory Traffic Management Order (TMO) consultation, motorcycle short stay parking charges will come into force at the end of May.
Please find the list of on street charges below:
Please find the list of off street charges below: