Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Comments, complaints and compliments frequently asked questions

Find the answers to some of the most  commonly asked customer service questions.

I have been advised that the issue I raised is a service request not a complaint. What’s the difference?

If you are requesting a service, for instance, a missed bin collection, we would normally treat this as a service request rather than a complaint.

How can I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint online, by completing a complaints form, by telephone or by writing in.

If I make a complaint, when can I expect to hear from you?

If you make a complaint, we will acknowledge receipt within two working days.

You will receive a response within the following timescales:

  • Stage 1 – 10 working days
  • Stage 2 – 20 working days
  • Stage 3 – 30 working days.

If we cannot meet these timescales, we will write to you and let you know.

If I make a complaint, will I still receive the same level of service?

Yes. We will not treat you any differently if you choose to make a complaint about the service you received from the Council.

I want to make a complaint on behalf of a friend or relative. Am I allowed to do so?

Yes you are. However, we will need to have written permission from the person that you are acting on behalf of, before we can release any information.

I was really pleased with the service I received from the Council. How do I go about saying thank you?

You can contact us in the same way that you would if you was to make a complaint.

I’m taking legal action against the Council. Can I still make a complaint?

If the complaint concerns the legal action, then we will not be able to investigate your complaint under the Council’s complaints procedure. If it is a separate issue, then we can investigate your complaint.

How does the Council ensure that they learn from their mistakes?

The Council uses complaints and feedback to improve the way that they deliver their services. Here are a few examples of how we have used your feedback to make improvements in the way we shape and deliver our services

What will the Council do to resolve my complaint?

When we receive your complaint, we will investigate and if necessary, a solution will be provided. Solutions can vary from an apology, to changing the way we provide services to residents or by putting things right where they have gone wrong.

On rare occasions a monetary solution can be offered. Before we make any payments, we will check our records to see whether there are any outstanding debts owed to the Council. If there are any debts owed, then we may offset this amount against the amount that you are due to be paid. For instance, if you are in rent arrears, part or all of the payment will be used to reduce the arrears. We will write to you to let you know how we intend to pay.

Who can I complain to if I am not happy after going through the Council’s complaints process?

The Council will attempt to resolve your complaint to a satisfactory conclusion. However, if you remain unhappy, after going through the three stages of the Council’s complaints procedure, you can approach the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) or,  for some housing complaints, with the Housing Ombudsman (HO).

The LGO are responsible for dealing with complaints about the Council. The HO is responsible for dealing with some complaints about social landlords.

Their details can be found below:

Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771, Coventry, CV4 OEH       
Tel: 0845 602 1983 or 024 7682 1960
Text: 0762 48 432

or for some housing complaints contact:

Housing Ombudsman Service
81 Aldwych
Telephone: 0300 111 3000
Fax: 020 7831 1942

If you are unsure which Ombudsman covers your complaint, please contact Corporate Complaints. Before contacting the Housing Ombudsman, please read this fact sheet which explains in more detail how to approach him.

Making a complaint to Housing Ombudsman – factsheet

Pdf, 27.2KB