Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Building control approval

If you intend to build a new property or make changes to an existing property, you may need to apply for building control approval. This is completely separate to planning approval/permission.
Planning service charges

Planning services have introduced new charges for withdrawing planning applications that have not been validated. These charges are to recover administrative costs. The charge for Non-Major applications is £41.67 (£50 including VAT) and for Major applications, it is £125 (£150 including VAT).

Building control approval means that your plans have been checked for construction and structural safety by a professional. Our inspectors will make visits to your site to ensure that your build complies with building regulations, fire safety, energy conservation and access.

Submit a Building Notice

A Building Notice application is used for small extensions, loft conversion, new roofs, windows replacements, attached garages, drainage and other small works. You do not need approval prior to commencing but the local authority may request a set of drawings or calculations.

Like a full plans application a building notice is valid for three years starting from the day the application was submitted to the local authority. It will automatically lapse if the works haven’t started. Once a Building Notice is submitted work can commenced within 48 hours. 

Full Plans application

A Full Plans application it is used for commercial building work subject to the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, and any new proposal to build above or within 3 metres of a drain/sewer. 

Submissions are required to be fully checked and approved by the local authority and a decision will be made within 5-8 weeks unless agreed otherwise. Defects can be spotted which will consequently speed up the construction project as the builders will be confident that the work complies with the Building Regulations. 

A Building Control surveyor will visit the site at key stages to ensure that the building work is safe and will not affect the health, safety and welfare of everyone using the building. It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that an inspection is booked at the appropriate stages. A full plans application is valid for 3 years starting from the day the application was submitted to the local authority.

If work has been done without approval (Regularisation)

A Regularisation application is needed when works have been completed without applying to Building Control. Once the application is submitted a Building Control surveyor will visit the property in question to inspect the work and ensure it meets the regulations. To ensure that all the work complies we have the power to ask the applicant to expose, alter or remove any defective works.

There is a fee payable to Lewisham Council when you submit an application. View our fees chart.

What happens next

A building control officer will inspect the work as it progresses to make sure that your building project complies with building regulations, fire safety and health and safety.

If your full plans application is rejected, we will give you the reasons. We will ask you to make amendments or provide more details, and will do our best to help you make a successful re-application.


If you are a leaseholder you will need to seek the freeholders permission before any building work is undertaken.

Lewisham Homes tenants should contact their leasehold department at hos@lewishamhomes.org.uk or call 0800 028 2028.


Following a change in government legislation, certain contractors can now certify their own work as compliant with building regulations. If you are using a properly registered contractor, you do not need to contact Building Control.

Contractors must be fully and properly registered with one of the various schemes in order to install such items as boilers, replacement windows and electrical wiring.

Find out more information about competent person schemes.

Party Wall Act 1996

If you are doing building work that might affect a neighbouring property, please visit the Party Wall Matters page for more information.

Although this Act may apply to your work, it is a civil matter and Lewisham Building Control are not involved in its administration.


Building Control

Fourth Floor, Laurence House, 1 Catford Road, London, SE6 4RU
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything