Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Council tax reduction scheme

​If you are on a low income, you may be eligible for a reduction in council tax.
Universal Credit this year

Every five to six years, the calendar makes it so we have 53 Mondays instead of the usual 52. This coming financial year, 2024 / 2025, is one of those special years.

If you get Universal Credit, the Department for Work and Pensions will only pay for 52 weeks of your rent in a year. In a 53 week financial year, this means there will be one week of rent that will not be covered by Universal Credit.

Find out what we're doing to help and what to do if you're affected and already struggling with the cost of living.

Could you be better off?

Use the calculator to find out what extra help you are entitled to, and apply.
Get advice on debt, budgeting, jobs and childcare.

Go to BetterOff Lewisham

Who is eligible

You can claim council tax reduction if all of the following apply:

  • you’re liable to pay council tax
  • you have savings of less than £16,000 (unless you getting pension credit)
  • you are over 16 years of age
  • you get income support, jobseeker’s allowance (income-based) or pension credit, or you are living on a low income.

Check your entitlement to housing benefit and council tax reduction.

If you are not eligible for the council tax reduction scheme you might still be able to apply for a discount based on other factors (e.g. single occupant, student, carer, disability, etc).

How to apply

You apply for council tax reduction and housing benefit online.

If you are waiting for an assessment you must continue to pay your current bill until we have assessed your claim.

How much reduction you get

From 1 April 2018:

    If you are a pensioner on a low income you may be eligible for a reduction of up to a maximum of 100% on the whole amount of your council tax.

    If you are of working age on a low income you may be eligible for a reduction of up to a maximum of 75% on the whole amount of your council tax.

Council tax reduction scheme 2018–19

Pdf, 1.1MB


You may also be interested in...

Council tax

Pay your council tax or use the forms below to apply for refunds and reductions, change your details and make other enquiries.