Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Party Wall etc. Act 1996

Find out how to make sure your building project complies with the Party Wall etc. Act 1996.

If you intend to build a new property or make changes to an existing property you may need to notify adjoining owners under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996.

Party Wall Notices 

If you are intending to carry out building work on your property that structurally impacts or, in some cases, is near a shared wall or boundary, then it is a legal requirement that you serve the adjoining owners with valid Party Wall etc. Act 1996 notice(s) that outline the work and states the correct sections of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996.

This includes the case where Lewisham Council is the adjoining owner.

Party wall notices to Lewisham Council can be sent to party.wall@lewisham.gov.uk in addition to the address held at the land registry for the property in question.

Party Wall Awards  

Under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 an adjoining owner can either consent or dissent and require that a party wall award is served by one or two surveyors. In most circumstances the building owner carrying out the work has liability for the cost of this process.

Further information

Find out more information about Party Wall etc. Act 1996


Party Wall Matters