Cost of living crisis
Get help locally
If you need support and you would like to talk to someone, we are launching a range of drop-in advice services across the borough in partnership with Citizens Advice Lewisham.
Clyde Family Hub SE8 5NH, every Monday, 1pm-5pm
Lewisham CommUNITY space, Unit 17 Lewisham Shopping Centre SE13 7HB, every Tuesday 9.30am-12.30pm
- St John the Baptist Church SE6 2RP, every Wednesday, 12 noon-2pm
- 999 Club SE8 4PA , every Wednesday, 10am-2pm
Perry Rise Baptist Church SE23 2QL, every Thursday, 12 noon-2pm
Christ Church URC SE6 3HQ, every Friday, 2–4.30pm
Coping with money worries
- Advice Lewisham can be reached on 0800 231 5453 for enquiries about benefits, housing, debt, employment, immigration, family & consumer issues.
- You can also speak to the independent organisation Money Helper online or call 0800 138 7777 for free, confidential advice.
- Use the online worrying about money form, and see what support is available for you locally in Lewisham.
- You might be missing out on money that you are entitled to. Visit turn2us to find out what benefits or grants you can get.
Lewisham Plus Credit Union can help you with savings and affordable loans.
Help with household bills
- Get energy advice and support from our partners at South East London Community Energy (SELCE).
- If you or someone in your household claims Universal Credit you could switch to cheaper broadband or phone packages by going to the OFCOM website.
- Check if you are eligible to get help with your energy bills over winter.
Help with employment and training
- See if you’re entitled to reduced fees on Lewisham’s Adult Education courses.
- Speak to Lewisham Works, a free service to support unemployed residents in to good jobs by emailing JobsAndSkills@lewisham.gov.uk.
- If you’re in work but need advice and support to improve your employment situation, Better Work Lewisham can help you. Call 020 7709 8064 / 8063 or email BetterWorkLewisham@stgilestrust.org.uk.
Extra support if you have children
- If you are pregnant or have a young child, check what help you can get to buy food and milk with the NHS Healthy Start.
- Some two year olds are eligible for up to 15 hours of free childcare per week. Learn about free early education for two-year-olds
- Some working parents of three and four year-olds can also apply for up to 30 free hours childcare per week.
- The Bank of Things in Unit 19 at Lewisham Shopping Centre provides everyday necessities (not food) to young people aged 11 to 25.
- Check online if your child is entitled to free school meals.
Health and well-being advice
- Community Connections Lewisham provide options for help and can link you up to support services (Available Monday to Fridays 9.30am to 4pm on 0330 058 3464).
- Mental Health & Money Advice provide practical advice and support for people experiencing issues with mental health and money.
- NHS Help with Health Costs scheme, If you have a low income, the NHS Low Income Scheme could help you pay for things like NHS prescription charges.
- The ‘Pharmacy First’ scheme provides advice, treatment and medicines for minor illnesses from your local pharmacy. Medicines offered are free of charge if you don’t usually pay for your prescriptions. Please visit your local pharmacy to find out more.
Staying warm support
- Those over 65, on a low income, or who has a long term health condition or disability can sign up for a support package to help them keep warm in the colder months. See if you are eligible for the scheme.
- See if you are eligible for Warm Home Discount scheme, and you could receive £150 off your electricity bill for winter 2022 to 2023.
We know many local people are worried about rising energy costs and heating their homes. We want to extend a warm welcome to anyone who needs a warm, inviting space throughout winter. We are working with local partners to identify local spaces that can provide warm spaces free of charge for residents. These includes our libraries, find your nearest library and see their opening times. More spaces to be announced in December - please keep checking here.