Weight Limit Restrictions
Weight limits can be applied to individual routes or to zones that have been identified as unsuitable for use by heavy goods vehicles. This normally applies to HGVs over 7.5 tonnes maximum gross weight. They are useful for preventing heavy goods vehicles from using minor roads as inappropriate shortcuts between main routes.
Reasons for introducing a restriction of this nature
- To prevent damage to the highway infrastructure (carriageway, footways, street furniture) and buildings
- Protect the character and environment of the area and residential estates
- Manage congestion on our roads
- Reduce risks to vulnerable road users, including pedestrians and cyclists.
- Vehicles working on or near the roads in question
- Emergency service and military vehicles
- Buses, coaches and other public service vehicles.