How the Bakerloo line extension could benefit New Cross
Find out about our vision for New Cross if the Bakerloo line is extended to New Cross Gate station.
Our vision for New Cross
We have been working with architects 5th Studio and urban designers We Made That to develop a practical vision for the area:
- We looked at how we could maximise the benefits to New Cross Gate station and the immediate surrounding area. This is called the Station opportunity study.
- We explored the benefits to the wider area around New Cross – extending as far as Kender Street, Surrey Canal Road, Rolt Street and Deptford High Street. This is called the New Cross area framework.
Engaging with residents
We spoke to local residents to get their thoughts about the area and its opportunities. You can read the New Cross area framework for details on:
- how we have engaged with the residents and other stakeholders
- how we will take advantage of the benefits of the Bakerloo line extension.
Next steps for New Cross
The New Cross area framework and station opportunity study were approved by a meeting of the Mayor and Cabinet in April 2019. This means that:
- it will form part of the evidence base for the new Lewisham Local Plan
- we will progress it to full supplementary planning document status
- the document will go to a full Council meeting to keep them informed.
For more updates on our vision for New Cross, please continue to check this page or sign up for our emails.
Published on: 04/01/2018