Support available to all carers
If you're an unpaid carer, you can get free support to maintain your health, independence and wellbeing, and care safely and confidently.
We commission a dedicated service for unpaid adult carers, young adult carers and young carers. It's called Maximising Wellbeing of Unpaid Carers and provides a range of support including:
- information, advice and guidance
- emotional and practical support
- access to financial support and advice
- peer support
- free training courses
Since August 2023, this service has been run by Imago - a social action charity with a successful track record of delivering services and projects across London and the south-east of England.
Other services include:
- Lewisham health and social care directory: this includes information on local services, community groups and provides information and advice
- health information: advice and services that can help you prevent or self-manage a health conditions
- mental health information: access to our psychological therapies team who offer information, advice and services
- adult social care information: we have a range of information and advice services with specialist knowledge in many different areas
What you need to think about
Before you choose support it is important that you think about how your caring role affects your wellbeing and about any advice that you need in relation to:
- financial support: carer's allowance, carer's credit, tax credits, benefits and independent financial advice
- practical support: cleaning, laundry and gardening services
- health: any health needs and long term health conditions
- social: help you may need with the caring role.
The NHS and third-sector organisations, including AGE UK, produced the guidance document below for carers, especially those who are aged over 65, or are new to their caring role.