Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Benefits and allowances for carers

See what benefits and allowances there are for carers, and how to find out if you are eligible.
Can't find what you're looking for or worried about someone's safety?

Contact us.

As a carer there may be some benefits that you can apply for if you are spending time looking after a relative, friend or neighbour.

This might be because you are unable to work, or can only work part time, because of the time you are spending caring and you need financial support to help you manage.

Carer's allowance

The carer's allowance is £66.15 per week to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs. You do not have to be related to, or live with the person you care for. You must be aged over 16 and spend at least 35 hours a week caring.

The carer's allowance is taxable and can affect your other benefits.

GOV.UK has information about the eligibility criteria and a benefits calculator to see how this benefit could affect your other benefits.

Carer's credit

You could get carer's credit if you are looking after someone for more than 20 hours a week.

Carer's credit is a national insurance credit that helps with gaps in your national insurance record. Your income, savings or investments will not be affected by carer’s credit.

Please visit the GOV.UK website or call the Carer's Allowance Unit:

Telephone: 0800 731 0297
Textphone: 0800 731 0317
Lines open: Monday–Thursday, 8.30am–5pm and Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm

Benefits calculators

You can use a benefits calculator to find out:

  • what benefits you could get
  • how to claim
  • how your benefits will be affected if you start work.

These are free to use, anonymous, and have replaced the benefits adviser service.


Use one of the following independent benefits calculators to decide whether you are entitled to and can apply for benefits:

  • entitled to – for information on income-related benefits, tax credits, contribution-based benefits, council tax reduction, carer’s allowance, universal credit and how your benefits will be affected if you start work
  • Turn2us – for information on income-related benefits, universal credit and tax credits.

What information you'll need to use the calculators

You’ll need accurate information about your:

  • savings
  • income, including your partner’s (eg from payslips)
  • existing benefits and pensions (including anyone living with you)
  • outgoings (eg rent, mortgage, childcare payments)
  • council tax bill.

Useful websites