Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Changes to your home to help you live independently (adaptations)

If you’re eligible you can get changes to your home to help you live independently. These changes are called adaptations.
Can't find what you're looking for or worried about someone's safety?

Contact us.

Sometimes installing equipment in your home will give you the help you need. If not we will consider adapting your home.

How to get adaptations to your home

You will need to have a needs assessment to see if you are eligible for this service.

We will consider:

  • your needs

  • your type of tenancy

  • whether you own your home

  • whether the structure of your home is suitable.

Minor adaptations for council and housing association tenants

If you are a council tenant of Lewisham Homes or a housing association, your landlord must provide minor adaptations without delay if:

  • you are at risk of falls or

  • you have a health or social care need.

The types of adaptations your landlord can provide include:

  • grab rails for the toilet, bath and shower transfers

  • door widening

  • leaver taps

  • window openings

  • raised sockets and additional sockets

  • half steps

  • door entry systems

  • flashing doorbells

  • toilet flushes.

These small adaptations can help you remain safer at home and can be installed more quickly than if you wait for an assessment.

For more information contact your landlord directly.

Disabled facilities grant

We can apply for a grant for adaptations if you are disabled and have been assessed to meet the eligibility criteria.

Get an assessment

If you would like us to assess you for this type of care, please submit the online form and we will be in touch.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything