Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Hospital or care home discount

If you've moved permanently into hospital or a residential care home, you may be entitled to a discount on the property you have left.
Haven't had your council tax bill?

If you've got a MyLewisham account and have registered to view your council tax account online, you won't get a paper copy of your annual bill – it'll be available to view online instead.

If you don't have MyLewisham account, you'll get a paper copy in the post as normal.

Who's eligible

If you lived alone but have left your property empty because you've permanently moved into a hospital or residential care home, you'll be exempt from paying council tax on the property you've left. This exemption will last until your tenancy ends or your property is sold.

If you lived with one other person, who's now alone in your property, a 25% discount is awarded on the address you have left. If two or more people are left in your property, no discount can be awarded.

To qualify as a homes or hospital resident you must have your sole and main residence in one of the following: 

  • a hospital as defined under the NHS Act 1977
  • a similar military establishment
  • a residential care home or mental nursing home as defined in the Registered Homes Act 1984

How much reduction you get

  • a full exemption if you are permanently resident in a hospital or residential care home
  • a 25% discount is you lived with one other person who now lives in the property on their own

How do I apply?

You will need to have your council tax account number and a letter from the care home or hospital confirming that someone from your household lives there permanently.

Once you've completed the form and provided evidence, we aim to process your application within 10 working days.