Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Care leavers' discount

As a care leaver, you may be entitled to a reduction in council tax until you're 25.
Haven't had your council tax bill?

If you've got a MyLewisham account and have registered to view your council tax account online, you won't get a paper copy of your annual bill – it'll be available to view online instead.

If you don't have MyLewisham account, you'll get a paper copy in the post as normal.

Who's eligible

If you have been in the care of Lewisham Council or any UK local authority, and are leaving care, you may be entitled to a reduction in council tax until you're 25.  

How much reduction you get

  • if you live alone you must first claim a 25% single person discount - we'll take off the remaining 75%, leaving you nothing to pay
  • if you live with other people, all of whom are care leavers, you will have nothing to pay
  • if two or more people are not care leavers, no discount is available

How do I apply?

Apply using the form below. We aim to get back to you within 10 working days.

Contact us

Council tax

Opening hours:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9am–3pm