Sydenham Thorpes conservation area
The area comprises the Thorpes Estate, an Edwardian development consisting of six roads laid out between 1901 and 1914 by Edmondson and Sons.
The estate was designated a conservation area in 2001 and owes its special character to the intrinsic townscape quality created by the consistency of style and materials of the houses and interesting detailing.
Features and details used were inspired by the Queen Anne, neo-Georgian and vernacular revivals using red brick contrasted by white roughcast, multi-paned sash windows, grey slate roofs and decorative pargeting.
The area’s character is enhanced by its compact layout of tightly packed houses, small front gardens and tree-lined streets.
In 2007 the conservation area was extended to include the parade of shops lining Sydenham Road to the south which is contemporary with the above estate.
These purposely built commercial terraces are of three storeys plus attics built in red brick with stone dressings and some having decorative curved Dutch gables. As with the residential properties, the special character is created by the strong cohesiveness and uniformity of the buildings, many of which were built at the same time, possibly by the same developer.
Article 4 direction
We have made an Article 4 direction to encourage the retention of high quality architectural features and ensure that changes are undertaken sympathetically.