Blackheath conservation area
Designated jointly with Greenwich in 1968, this was London’s first conservation area, and is Lewisham’s largest and most diverse in character.
The areas possess outstanding qualities of townscape and special historical architecture which is enhanced by the wide-open spaces of the heath. The latter is within the buffer zone of the Greenwich World Heritage Site. The area was extended in 2001 to include four new sites around Belmont Hill and Belmont Park.
The main focus of historic settlement is the village of Blackheath. The majority of buildings date from around 1790 to 1880 and the village contains many well-preserved shops in buildings of varying Georgian and Victorian styles rising from the station to the heath.
The construction of the railway, arriving in Blackheath in 1849, was a major factor for the suburban expansion of the area during the second half of the century leading to the development of high quality Victorian houses, some of them designed as architectural set pieces, grouped in pairs or in formal uniform terraces, often on a grand scale. The conservation area contains a high number of listed and locally listed buildings.
The area was last reviewed in 2007 and a conservation area appraisal written that explains the history and character of the area and why it is considered of special interest.
Article 4 directions
We have made Article 4 directions to specified streets and areas within the conservation area to encourage the retention of high quality architectural features and ensure that changes are undertaken sympathetically.
To check whether your street is covered by the direction call us on 020 8314 7400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.