Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Housing benefit – documents we must have

Page content

1. Proof of identity

Two pieces of identification, such as:

  • passport

  • birth certificate

  • national insurance card

  • driving licence

  • letter from a utility company showing your name and address

  • current wage slips

  • bank statement

  • benefit entitlement letter.

2. Proof of your rent

Your tenancy agreement signed by you and your landlord, or a statement signed by your landlord confirming the details of your tenancy.

The statement should show the amount of rent you have to pay and any charges that are included (such as heating costs or meals).

3. Proof of earned income or benefits


Recent and consecutive pay slips:

  • five if you are paid weekly

  • three if you are paid fortnightly

  • two if you are paid monthly.


Your award letter, or other official notification, showing your name, address, date and the amount of the award.

4. Proof of savings

Bank statements (last two months), building society passbooks, post office books, share certificates, premium bonds and national savings certificates.

Find out how to send us evidence.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything