Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Applying for housing benefit

Find out how to apply, and whether you have to claim universal credit instead.

Check if you need to apply for universal credit

Universal credit is being introduced and will replace housing benefit. To find out if you should apply for universal credit instead, check if your postcode is in the universal credit full-service area.

Apply for universal credit now.

Find out more information about universal credit.

Council tax reduction

Universal credit does not cover council tax reduction, so you still need to apply for a council tax reduction through us.

Housing benefit

You still have to claim housing benefit if any of the following are true:

  • Your postcode is not yet in the universal credit full-service area.

  • You are of pension age.

  • You are responsible for three or more children in the household.

You can claim housing benefit if all of the following apply:

  • you’re liable to pay rent

  • you have savings of less than £16,000 (unless you get pension credit)

  • you get income support, jobseeker’s allowance (income-based) or pension credit, or you are living on a low income.

If you live in supported, exempt or temporary accommodation

If you live in supported, exempt or temporary accommodation provided by the council you need to:

Check your entitlement to housing benefit

Documents we need to see

See a list of documents we need to see when we process your application.

Need help understanding English?

Ask for help from someone you trust. This could be a member of your family, a close friend or a neighbour.