Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Flooding and leaks

Find out how to report highway flooding and related emergencies.

Check the list below for who to contact about different flooding and leak issues.

Report flooding

  • Public sewers (not within your) property boundary – Thames Water on 0800 316 9800

  • Burst water main (the water supply up to and including the stopcock in your property) – Thames Water on 0800 316 9800

  • Private drains or sewers (within a property boundary) – these are the responsibility of the property owner or landlord: use Trustmark to find trustworthy companies to fix the problem

  • Rivers – Environment Agency on 08708 506506

  • Public roads – use our report a problem with a drain or gulley form

Gullies and drains

We are responsible for problems with most roadside gullies in the borough.  A gully is a grill-topped chamber at the side of the carriageway that collects rainwater. It usually connects to the Thames Water drainage system where it then drains away. This system is the responsibility of Thames Water.

Please bear in mind that it is natural, after very heavy rainfall, for the gullies and drainage system to become overwhelmed and it can take a few hours for the water that has fallen on the road to clear.

If the water hasn’t subsided you can report a problem with a drain or gully using our online form. This site is monitored 9am-5pm weekdays. For roadside flooding we aim to attend within 24 hours. In an emergency you should contact the Council switchboard 0208 314 6000 (24 hour) or, if there is a risk to your safety or to your property you should report the issue directly to the Emergency Services.

For less serious issues we will inspect the gully within ten working days to decide whether work needs to be undertaken. Typically we assess whether the gully pot is clear and whether water is flowing. More complex, or less obvious issues can take longer to resolve and may require further investigation or liaison with Thames Water. 

Gullies on the red route network are the responsibility of Transport for London and you should contact TfL directly Contact us about streets and road issues - Transport for London (tfl.gov.uk)

A blocked drain on or in a privately owned property is the responsibility of the resident or owner of that property. Any other drains are the responsibility of Thames Water: 0800 316 9800.