Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Tell us if your landlord is breaking the law

Get help if you think your landlord keeps knowingly breaking the law.

When to report your landlord

Legally, your landlord must:

  • give you a tenancy agreement that shows the name, address and contact details of the landlord
  • put your deposit into a deposit protection schemes
  • get a gas safety certificate every year proving all gas appliances are safe to use
  • keep your house in good repair

Find out what repairs your landlord must do.

Your landlord must not:

Find out what to do if your landlord is harassing you.

Find out what to do if your landlord is trying to evict you.

Shared houses

If you live in a shared house, your landlord must:

  • have an HMO licence if the property meets the criteria for licensable HMOs
  • meet minimum space standards and provide enough facilities
  • provide adequate provisions for fire safety. 

Find out more about standards for shared houses.

How we can help

If your landlord is breaking the law, you should tell us. We can use any evidence you give us to:

  • investigate
  • build a case for prosecution
  • protect you and others from exploitation
  • raise standards in private rented housing.

How to get advice

Answer a few short questions to get advice about your housing situation.

Report your landlord to us

If you think your landlord is breaking the law, contact our rogue landlords team. If your landlord hasn’t protected your tenancy deposit, contact the Crime Enforcement and Regulation Service.


To provide the best support and advice, the rogue landlords team may refer you to other teams and services in the Council, with your permission. We will not share your identity with your landlord.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything