Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Gas and electrical safety

Information on gas safety checks, carbon monoxide and electrical safety in private rented housing.

Gas safety

If you smell gas

If you smell gas:

  • call the national gas emergency service free on 0800 111 999 immediately

  • turn off gas at the meter (unless it’s in a cellar or basement)

  • don’t use electric switches or naked flames

Gas safety checks

Every year, your landlord must get a safety check for all gas appliance in the property, including:

  • cookers

  • water heaters

  • boilers

  • wall heaters

Your landlord is responsible for arranging this check by a Gas Safe registered engineer. After the check, your landlord must give you a copy of the gas safety certificate. 

It is illegal for your landlord not to get a certificate every year. If they don’t give you a certificate, contact our Environmental Health Residential Team or call the Government’s health and safety executive on their free gas safety advice line on 0800 300 363. 

You landlord should fix any problems found during the gas safety check. If a gas appliance appears faulty or has broken down, you should report this to your landlord or agent. Contact us if they dont fix the problem.

Smoke and carbon monoxide

Unsafe gas appliances can give off carbon monoxide, which is a highly poisonous gas. You cant see, smell or taste this gas and it can cause death or serious long-term health conditions. Learn more about carbon monoxide poisoning from the Gas Safe register and the NHS.

All rented properties need to be protected against carbon monoxide and fire. Your landlord must install:

  • a smoke alarm on every floor of the property
  • a carbon monoxide alarm in any room with a coal fire or wood-burning stove

Read the Government’s smoke and carbon monoxide alarm regulations.

Electrical safety

Your landlord has to ensure electrical appliances are safe. They can arrange for an electrical inspection before you move in, but they are not legally required to.

If you live in a house of multiple occupation (HMO), you landlord must have the electrics checked every five years and give you a copy of the report if you request it.

Get more advice about electrical safety from Shelter.

Keeping safe at home

Every year in the UK more than 6,000 people die in accidents in the home and 2.7 million people go to accident and emergency departments for treatment. 

Your landlord must do repairs that pose a threat to your safety. Find out more about:

How to get advice

Answer a few short questions to get advice about your housing situation.


Private Sector Housing Agency

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything