Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Eviction information for private tenants

Find out how to get support if your landlord is seeking to evict you.
Repairs booking problems

We are currently experiencing issues with our repairs booking system and can only respond to emergency repairs.

We apologise for the inconvenience and are working to get the system up and running as soon as possible

You have the right to live safely and peacefully in your home - even if your landlord really wants you to leave.

Your landlord can only end your tenancy if you agree to move out or they obtain a court order.

If you don’t agree to go and your landlord hasn’t obtained a court order, then trying to make you give up your home may be a crime.

If your landlord has:

  • repeatedly asked you to leave
  • cut off utilities, such as water, gas or electricity
  • stopped you using part of the property you had the use of before or changed the locks
  • threatened, assaulted or abused you
  • made you feel unsafe or uncomfortable
  • physically thrown you or your belongings out

then we can help.

Get in touch with our Private Sector Intelligence and Enforcement team - call 020 8314 6420 or email rogue landlords.

We can provide you with advice and support. We may be able to negotiate with your landlord and help you stay in your home or prosecute your landlord and help you claim compensation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything