Apply for social housing
Are you eligible
You are eligible to apply for council housing if:
- you are living in the UK permanently
- you are over the age of 18
- you have a gross annual household income of £50,000 or less
- you have household savings of £16,000 or less
- you have lived in the borough for five years.
Do you fit the priority criteria
We use a banding system to prioritise:
- people with no permanent or secure accommodation
- people occupying insanitary or overcrowded housing
- vulnerable people and people with medical needs and disabilities
- people with urgent transfer needs.
We also give priority to people who are moving because of:
- a decant due to major repairs works, improvements or redevelopment
- racial, sexual or other harassment
- under occupying much-needed council family housing.
Appeal against a decision
If you think we have made the wrong decision about your priority banding or the suitability to be on the housing register you have the right to contact us and ask for the decision to be reviewed. We will send you a form to complete. You must fill this in within 21 days and we will try and respond to you within 56 days.
Once you are registered
Once you are registered on our housing list, you will need to use Lewisham Homesearch to bid for a new home from those that become available.
You must let us know if your circumstances change in the following ways:
your benefits stop or you start claiming benefits
you start work or stop work
your earnings increase or decrease
your savings or capital increase
someone leaves or moves into the household
you’ve moved from your temporary accommodation or private rented accommodation on your own accord.