Get housing advice
Answer a few short questions to get advice about your housing situation.
How we can help
Contact us if you are homeless, or likely to be homeless. We will:
- assess your housing situation
- work out what your needs are
- give you advice on the next steps to take.
We will help you develop a personalised housing and wellbeing plan, which sets out what actions we will both take to prevent or relieve your homelessness.
Watch the video to find out more.
Apply for assistance if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness
If you are at risk of homelessness, you can apply for assistance through our online referral system– the Housing Assistance Referral Portal.
If you need urgent housing advice and are currently homeless, please contact our call centre on 0208 314 7007.
You may have received written or verbal notice from your landlord/ friend/ family member. If this has not already expired on the day that you call us, you will be directed to complete a self-referral form on the portal.
Read Shelter’s step-by-step guide about how to get support from the Council if you are homeless or facing homelessness within eight weeks. The guide tells you about:
- how we can help
- how to ask us for help
- homeless assessments
- personal housing plans
- who qualifies for housing
- challenging a decision.
If you are having financial problems, we may be able to help you:
- budget, manage your money and maximise your income
- with benefit changes, such as universal credit, benefit caps or local housing allowance
- find a job
- with a deposit for private rented accommodation.
Financial help will be available as part of your personalised housing and wellbeing plan.
Finding a Home
For information on renting and finding a home, visit our website.
Borrow an address to access services
We are testing a system called ProxyAddress. This gives you a stable address that you can use to access services. For example, you could use it to open a bank account.
ProxyAddress is free.
Let us know if you would like to take part in this trial and we will help you join. Our contact details are at the bottom of this page.
Emergency accommodation is in the form of hostels. You can access some of hostels directly without needing a referral.
- Search for emergency accommodation on Homeless Link.
- Call Shelter's free housing advice helpline on 0808 800 4444 to find services near you.
- Purple Door provides emergency housing for young LGBTQ+ people.
- If our offices are closed, call our out-of-hours number on 020 8314 7007 for emergency housing advice and assistance.
Partners and duty to refer
Some public organisations (such jobcentres, A&E and probation services) must refer homeless people, or people at risk of homelessness, to us. This is called duty to refer.
How to contact us
If you are a single person in need of housing advice, contact SHIP (Single Homelessness Intervention and Prevention).
If you are a family in need of housing advice, or you are pregnant, contact Housing Options.