Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Temporary accommodation for homeless people

Find out about temporary accommodation for homeless people.

Types of temporary accommodation

We provide temporary accommodation in:

  • privately rented bed and breakfast
  • council-owned and managed hostels
  • privately rented self-contained houses
  • other properties provided by charities and social landlords.

Where you will be placed

We try and find temporary accommodation in the Lewisham borough, but this is not always possible. If this isn’t possible, we will arrange temporary accommodation for you somewhere else. This could be anywhere in or outside of London.

How long you will stay in temporary accommodation

You will stay in temporary accommodation until we can support you to move into your own accommodation.

The amount of time you will stay in temporary accommodation depends on your circumstances. Many households spend several years in temporary accommodation due to the waiting times for permanent housing.

If we decide we no longer have a duty to provide housing for you, we may ask you to leave temporary accommodation.

Temporary accommodation agreements

Depending on the property, when you move into temporary accommodation you will sign either:

  • a licence or agreement
  • a non-secure tenancy agreement
  • an assured shorthold tenancy agreement.

It is important that you stick to the terms of the agreement. If you don’t you may be asked to leave the accommodation.

Paying rent

You must pay for your accommodation if you are working or if you get benefits. We will send you details of how to make rent payments within seven days of offering you temporary accommodation.

Find out how to pay your rent.

The quality of temporary accommodation

  • We are committed to housing people in suitable temporary accommodation.
  • We try to visit as many of the properties used for temporary accommodation as possible to make sure they are suitable.
  • We work with landlords who meet our temporary accommodation standards and provide us with the relevant health and safety certificates for their properties.

Report a problem

If you have a problem with your temporary accommodation, you should report it to the property provider directly. Their contact details will be on your booking letter.