Applying for social housing
Before you apply
In the Lewisham borough, there are 9,200 people on the housing register.
Because of this high demand, you recommend you apply for council housing if you are in one of the priority categories. For more information, please refer to our housing allocations policy (PDF, 694KB).
Who can apply
You can apply for council housing if you:
- live in the UK permanently
- are over 18
- have a gross annual household income of £50,000 or less
- have household savings of £16,000 or less
- have lived in the borough continuously for the last five years.
Who we prioritise
We use a banding system to prioritise people who:
- are homeless
- live in unhygienic or overcrowded housing
- are vulnerable
- have medical needs or disabilities
- have urgent transfer needs, where someone’s life is severely endangered.
We also give priority to existing council tenants who would like to move to another social housing who:
- ·need to move due to major repairs works, improvements or redevelopment
- are experiencing racial, sexual or other harassment
- have too many bedrooms and are moving to smaller council housing.
Support if you are already on the housing register.
Appeal against a decision
You can ask us to review our decision if:
- we haven’t accepted your application to be on the housing register
- you think we have made the wrong decision about your priority banding.
Emails us on email@example.com. We will send you an appeal form, which you must return within 21 days. We will try to respond to you within 56 days.
If you aren’t eligible for council housing
If you aren’t eligible for council housing, don’t meet a priority category or have had their application rejected, there are other ways you can find home to live in.
If you are having financial problems, we may be able to provide advice on:
- budgeting, money management and maximising your income
- welfare reform and benefit changes, i.e. universal credit, benefit caps or the local housing allowance
- employment or help finding a job
- finding a deposit to secure private rented accommodation.
Private rented sector
You might consider renting privately.
What to do when you are on the housing register
Telephone: 020 8314 7007
Homeless enquiries HousingOptionsEnquiry@lewisham.gov.uk
Social housing applicants LewishamHomesearch.OnlineApplications@lewisham.gov.uk
Existing social housing tenants who would like to transfer, please contact your landlord.
- Rent a home
- Move to a smaller council home
Annual lettings plan page
Support for people on the housing register
- Information for people on the housing register