Council tax for people who have left care
We are currently experiencing technical issues with OneVu that mean Council Tax forms may be unavailable. We are looking to fix the issue urgently.
If you are a young person living in Lewisham who has left local authority care you may be entitled to a reduction in your council tax and in some instances may not have to pay anything at all.
People who qualify for a discount
- If you live alone you must first claim a 25% single person discount. We will then take off the remaining 75%, leaving you nothing to pay.
- If you live with other people, all of whom are care leavers, you will have nothing to pay.
- If everyone but one person is a care leaver, you will get a 25% discount.
- If two or more people are not care leavers, no discount is available.
How to tell if you qualify as a care leave
You are deemed to be a care leaver if all this is true:
- You are aged under 25.
- You were previously in local authority care.
- You are supported by a personal advisor or someone from the Leaving Care Team within any local authority Social Services department.
How to apply
If you are eligible for a council tax discount, you can apply using the application form that can be found at the bottom of this page.
Once completed, please send it to Public services, Revenues, Laurence House, Catford, London SE6 4RU.
Please note this reduction only applies from 1st April 2018.