Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Apply for a food related licence

We issue several food related licenses which you must have to register a food business.
Website survey

We want your help with improving our website so it is easier to use, and provides the information that residents need. Help us by filling in this short survey.

The Council issue licences for:

Food premises registration

You must register premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) with us.

Late hours catering

You must apply for a premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003.

Street café

You will need a licence to use a portion of a public street, road or place for the sale of food and drink and for the placing of tables, chairs and other furniture outside a restaurant or cafe.

Butchers licence 

From 1 January 2006, butchers no longer need a licence to operate. However, you must comply with EU hygiene regulations, including the operation of hazard analysis and critical control point-based procedures.

Game dealer licences

From 1 August 2007, you no longer have to hold a licence in order to deal in game.

Useful websites


Environmental Health Food Safety


You may also be interested in ...

Food business registration

Register a food business here