Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

About alcohol and entertainment licenses

If you want to sell alcohol or provide entertainment services, you'll need a licence.
Website survey

We want your help with improving our website so it is easier to use, and provides the information that residents need. Help us by filling in this short survey.

Under the Licensing Act 2003, we are responsible for licensing:

  • the sale and supply of alcohol
  • the provision of regulated entertainment
  • the provision of late night refreshment.

If you carry out any of these activities, you'll need the relevant authorisation.

Types of licence

Personal licence

This is a portable licence granted to an individual allowing them to sell alcohol at a premises licensed for the sale of alcohol.

Premises licence

This is a licence granted for specific premises. It specifies the nature of the licensable activity and any applicable conditions.

Club premises certificate

This licence grants 'qualifying club' status to specific premises, according to a number of qualifying conditions.

Temporary event notice

This notice permits the carrying-out of specified licensable activities for a restricted period (maximum 168 hours).

Minor variations

This is a simplified process for minor variations to premises licences and club premises certificates.


Safer Communities Service (Licensing)

Opening hours:

The telephone lines are open everyday, 10am–12 noon and 2–4pm.