About the Lewisham Local Plan
Lewisham’s new Local Plan will set out a shared vision for the future of the borough along with the planning and investment framework to deliver this vision through to 2040.
It will include policies and guidelines used to determine planning applications, together with the London Plan and any future neighbourhood plans.
The Local Plan presents a vision for how development should shape Lewisham over the next 20 years. The Summary Document is a short version, which will help local communities learn about the new Local Plan.
How to get involved
The new Local Plan will help shape Lewisham to 2040. We want to hear your thoughts on the opportunities and challenges across the borough and in your area.
The consultation is open from 15th January 2021 to 11th April 2021.
COVID-19 has made it difficult for us to hold public consultation events, but we are hosting a series of information sessions on Zoom.
The first round of sessions will focus on the main topic areas for the Local Plan.
- Thursday 4th February, 5.30pm -7pm, Vision and Strategy
- Tuesday 9th February, 5.30pm - 7pm, Design and Heritage
- Thursday 11th February, 5.30pm - 7pm, Economy and Culture
- Tuesday 16th February, 5.30pm - 7pm, Green Infrastructure and Environmental Sustainability
- Wednesday 17th February, 5.30pm - 7pm, Housing
- Tuesday 23rd February, 5.30pm - 7pm, Infrastructure (Community/Transport)
You can sign up to attend one of the online events by completing this registration form.
Sessions focusing on Lewisham's neighbourhoods will be held at a later date. Details will be confirmed shortly.
The dates and times listed above may be subject to change. For the latest information visit the Lewisham Local Plan website.
Preparing the new Local Plan
We are working with and alongside communities and community groups, landowners and other key stakeholders to help us prepare the plan. This includes several stages of formal public consultation.
We started the local plan review in late 2015 with a consultation on the main issues for the plan. See the documents for the consultation that happened in 2015.
Since then, we have carried out various engagement exercises on studies and other documents to help inform the plan’s preparation, such as:
- Lewisham Characterisation Study
- New Cross Area Framework and Station Opportunity Study / SPD
- Catford Town Centre Masterplan / Catford Conversation
- Surrey Canal Triangle SPD
- ‘Call for Sites’ / landowner engagement exercises to help us to identify potential development sites.
These documents form part of the local plan evidence base and will help to ensure the new plan reflects the aspirations of local communities, and is based on the latest available information.
We have been working on the plan, taking account of the feedback received from our early public consultation and engagement exercises as well as our latest evidence base documents.
An emerging draft of the Local Plan was considered at a meeting of Mayor and Cabinet on 11 March 2020. Find more details about the Mayor and Cabinet meeting.