Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Get listed building advice

Find out how to get advice about physical works to a listed building from a conservation officer.
Planning service charges

Planning services have introduced new charges for withdrawing planning applications that have not been validated. These charges are to recover administrative costs. The charge for Non-Major applications is £41.67 (£50 including VAT) and for Major applications, it is £125 (£150 including VAT).

Who can get advice

The listed building advice service is for householders, developers and other planning professionals.

How to request advice

To request advice about a listed building, download and complete the application form and send it to planning@lewisham.gov.uk. You should include:

  • a plan showing the location of the site

  • a description of the proposed works and how these may affect the historic fabric and design of the building

  • initial plans/sketches of your proposals with dimensions indicated

  • photographs of the property, in particular of the part of the property you propose to change.

After we get your application, we will contact you for payment over the phone.

Advice fees

Householder advice for listed buildings

  • Written advice: £390 + VAT (Total £468)

  • Written advice with one-hour meeting on site with conservation officer: £560 + VAT (Total £672)

  • Follow-up advice: £170 + VAT (Total £204)


Advice relating to listed buildings for a building which is not a single dwelling house or residential flat.

  • Written advice: £710 + VAT (Total £852)
  • Written advice with one-hour meeting on site with conservation officer and planning officer: £1,035 + VAT (Total £1,242)
  • Follow-up advice: £510 + VAT (Total £612)

The above fees relate specifically to the assessment of physical works to listed buildings, and will be chargeable alongside fees required for general planning advice, including duty planner or pre-application advice.  


Any planning advice given by officers, either orally or in writing in the course of their duties, is offered in good faith and is based on the information/evidence provided. Advice is offered without the benefit of a site visit or the involvement of other consultees (not internal and external), neighbours or other interested parties. Such views are therefore the personal opinion of that officer and are not a formal decision of, nor are they binding, on the local planning authority. The local planning authority will only be bound where a formal application is submitted and a formal decision is issued in writing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything