Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Grants to help with moving costs

If you are disabled, we can give you a grant to help you move to a more suitable home.


To be eligible for a grant to help with moving, you must:

  • be the owner of the property
  • be living at the property as your main residence
  • be aged over 65 and/or have a member of your family living with you who is disabled (disabled residents must be referred by an Occupational Therapist)
  • be on a low income.

More information and conditions of applying can be found in the housing assistance policy at the bottom of this page.

What is the grant for

The grant will cover the cost of

  • legal fees
  • estate agents fees
  • stamp duty
  • removal costs.

The grant is to help with the cost of moving and not the cost of purchasing a property.

Amount available

The amount of grant available is up to a maximum of £3,000.

This grant is only for if we think that moving to alternative accommodation provides a better long-term solution than adapting or repairing your existing home.

How to apply

For more information and to apply for a grant to help with the cost of moving, please contact the housing grants team.