Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Planned works

We carry out work across Lewisham – investing in your homes and neighbourhoods.

We are responsible for maintaining the communal and structural parts of the building and communal areas (shared areas) of estates, such as roads, communal gardens and parking areas.

The upkeep and repair of these areas is our responsibility as the freeholder. 

The cost of maintaining a building varies according to its age and structure. From time to time, it will be necessary for us to undertake planned works to improve or repair the communal and structural parts of the building. These will usually be one-off works.

Planned works can include

  • fitting fire safety doors
  • renewing windows
  • renewing roofs
  • doing structural work
  • redecorating shared areas such as hallways and on the outside of your building
  • improving shared area in sheltered housing for older residents
  • creating new homes from disused buildings

Who to contact

During the consultation period, we will give you the name of one of our officers to contact about any issues or concerns you may have.

You can find information about major works which are in progress on the My Lewisham Homes portal. If you’re having work done to your building or estate at the moment, you can find contact details for the contractor and our staff on the contact sheet given to you before work started.

Please report day to day repairs which may be needed to your home, such as work needed to fix your windows, on My Lewisham Homes.

What should I expect when works are carried out to my home?

Improvements carried out on your home can require short-term disruption, so it is important to know what to expect from us, how you can prepare for the works and what will happen. We have prepared a set of guides so you can find out more about what to expect with different kinds of works to your home.

Planned maintenance policy

You can download our planned maintenance policy from the policy library

Frequently asked questions on major works

What works are covered under External and Communal works?

The works may include repair/renewal to external building components such as windows, roofs and doors. Works may also include various other communal and external improvements.

What work is covered under Internal works?

Internal improvements work may include upgrading kitchens, bathrooms, heating and wiring upgrades. However, all works are subject to survey.

How do I know when my kitchen/bathroom will be replaced?

If your property is on a renewal programme, you will be contacted by our contractor with at least two weeks’ notice to arrange a convenient date for a survey to take place. Following the survey’s outcome, our contractors will give you a date for the work to start and advise you of what you need to do in advance of the work.

Please note that we must prioritise essential safety work from time to time, which means we have to put pre-planned work to your building or estate on hold. We will keep you updated about any changes to work to your building or in your area.

Who do I contact about works to my home?

Our contractors employ specialist Resident Liaison Officers (RLO) whose role is to support you when major works are carried out to your home.

Your RLO will set up appointments, handle access and contractor concerns, and investigate complaints as your first point of contact. Before they begin working, they will provide you with a contact sheet with their contact details.

How do you determine what works will be carried out to my property?

Every block/property due to benefit from improvement works is surveyed before the commencement of any works.

For external works, this involves looking at the condition of your building from ground level, followed by a more detailed survey, if necessary.

The outcome of these surveys will determine what work is required. We'll write to you to tell you what works you can expect to receive.

Is the Council guaranteeing that works will be carried out in the programmed year

There are some circumstances in which published dates may change; for example:

  • contractor validations surveys indicate that the condition of components is different from what the stock condition showed – this mainly happens because the contracts can undertake a close-up survey as opposed to the visual nature of the stock condition surveys
  • we've had to prioritise essential health and safety work within the available budget
When will any of the work identified in my home be started and completed?

The programme of works is based on prioritising the worst properties. In addition, we have committed to ensuring that all Decent Homes-related work will be completed as soon as possible within the financial year. (Decent Homes is the Government’s technical standard for housing).

Will I be expected to pay for the work?

For tenants, rent includes an allowance for upgrading their homes, so they will not be required to pay anything else. Leaseholders will be asked to contribute to the works as provided under the terms of their lease.

Will I have the opportunity to see the specification and samples of what contractors will install, and will I have any choice?

The Council, supported by the contractor for your area, will undertake statutory and non-statutory consultation before works commence. Where your block/property set-up allows it and weather permits, we will also launch a roadshow event where samples of components will be provided.

Separately, residents will be able to exercise come choice on some programme, eg. on the design on kitchens and in determining colour schemes in communal areas. For communal work, options will be decided on a majority basis.

Contact us