Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Council tax for people with a disability

Find out about council tax reductions for disabled people.

If your property has been adapted or has special facilities because someone who lives there is physically disabled, you may qualify to be charged at a lower valuation band.

For example, if your property is in band D, you will only have to pay the charge for band C. The band reduction will only remain in place for as long as the disabled person occupies the property as their main residence.

Who should use this form

To qualify for a lower tax band, your property must have been modified to provide one of these:

  • an extra bathroom or kitchen for the disabled person to use

  • enough room for a wheelchair to be used inside at all times

  • a room that is mainly used to meet the needs of the disabled person.

Before you complete the form

To apply for disabled relief you will need to log into your My Lewisham account. If you don’t have one already, please click 'Log in and apply for disabled relief' below then choose 'register' and follow the instructions to create your account.

How to complete the form

After you log in you can complete the form:

  • It should take between 10 and 15 minutes to complete.

  • You will need to have your council tax account number and your GP or health worker's details ready.

What happens next

We need to visit your property to make sure you have the necessary adaptations to qualify for a reduction. After you submit your application, we will contact you to arrange a good time to visit.

See if you're eligible for a bigger council tax reduction

If you are awarded disabled relief, you may still be eligible for council tax reduction as well if you have a low income.

More information on council tax reduction scheme.

More information

If there is anything you are not sure about, please contact us to discuss your circumstances.


Council tax

Council Tax Team, Po Box 58993, Bromley Road, London, SE6 9GZ