Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Apply for a special treatments licence

If you'd like to carry out certain special treatments you'll need a licence.

Special treatments could include:

  • massage

  • manicure

  • acupuncture

  • tattooing

  • cosmetic piercing

  • chiropody

  • light treatments, for example sunbeds

  • electric treatments, for example electrolysis

  • vapour treatments

  • other treatments involving heat, light or vapour, for example sauna or other bath treatments.

The licence will be granted subject to our regulations prescribing standard conditions for annual special treatment licences.

Premises purely operating as a hairdressers no longer need to be registered, although there are a number of regulations under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. These regulations apply whether you are self-employed or an employee. They also apply to mobile businesses or businesses based at a salon.

Special treatment licences fees from 1 April 2024

Full licence - class 1, 2 and 3 £385 
Class 1 only £297
Class 2 only £231
Class 3 only £198
Classes 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 £308
Classes 2 and 3 £253
Body piercing £209
Tattooing £209
IPL £528
Renewal Is the same as the application fee
Transfer and/or variation 25% of the application fee

Classification of treatments

Class 1 

  • UV tanning/sunbeds
  • Trichology
  • Acupuncture
  • Collagen implants
  • Micropigmentation
  • Body massage
  • Aromatherapy
  • Reflexology
  • Shiatsu
  • Flotation
  • Steam bath or chamber
  • Spa bath or jacuzzi
  • Infra-red
Class 2
  • Electrolysis
  • Toning tables
  • Nail Techniques
  • Thread and spider vein treatment
  • Facial massage
  • Facials using electrical equipment.
  • Cosmetic piercing - ear & lateral nasal
  • Waxing*
  • Sugaring*
  • Facials using cosmetics*
  • Bleaching*

Class 3

  • Cosmetic piercing - ears only
  • Manicure and/or pedicure
  • Body wrap*
  • Eyelash/eyebrow tinting, curling and plucking*
  • Make-up*

Other classes
  • Body piercing
  • Tattooing
  • IPL / Laser

*Treatments are non-licensable, and no licensing fees apply

How to apply for a special treatments licence

Please read the guidance notes and instructions for submission carefully before completing your application.


Mobile therapists

If you're a mobile therapist i.e. you visit people in their own homes to carry out treatments, you don't need a licence but you do need to register with us.

Please download and fill in the application form below.


Useful websites


Health and Safety Enforcement

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything