Apply for a scrap metal dealer licence
There are two types of licence under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013:
- a site licence
- a collectors licence.
A site licence authorises the licensee to carry on a business at any site(s) in the authority’s area which is identified on the licence.
A collectors licence covers dealers who do not have a site and regularly collect through door-to-door collections. It authorises the licensee to carry on a business as a mobile collector in the authority’s area. A dealer also includes someone carrying on a business as a motor salvage operator.
The applicant has to be a ‘suitable’ person to carry on a business as a scrap metal dealer, which means the authority has to take into account:
- Whether the applicant or site manager has been convicted of any relevant offence, or enforcement action. (A list of relevant offences is downloadable in the documents section.)
- Any previous refusal of an application for issue or refusal and the reasons.
- Any previous refusal for application of a relevant environmental permit.
- Any previous revocation of a scrap metal licence.
- Whether the applicant has demonstrated that there will be in place adequate procedures to ensure the act is complied with.
If the applicant is a company, the following people have to be suitable:
- any director
- shadow director.
In determining whether an applicant is suitable, the authority can consult:
- any other local authority
- Environment Agency (England)
How to apply
Please download and complete the application form below and return to us with the appropriate fee.
A basic disclosure must be enclosed for every person listed on the form.
For a collectors licences please also enclose two passport sized photographs, one of which must be endorsed on the back as a true likeness.
The telephone lines are open everyday, 10am–12 noon and 2–4pm.
|Telephone:||020 8314 6400|