Apply for a scrap metal dealer licence
We want your help with improving our website so it is easier to use, and provides the information that residents need. Help us by filling in this short survey.
There are two types of licence under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013:
- a site licence
- a collectors licence.
A site licence authorises the licensee to carry on a business at any site(s) in the authority’s area which is identified on the licence.
A collectors licence covers dealers who do not have a site and regularly collect through door-to-door collections. It authorises the licensee to carry on a business as a mobile collector in the authority’s area. A dealer also includes someone carrying on a business as a motor salvage operator.
The applicant has to be a ‘suitable’ person to carry on a business as a scrap metal dealer, which means the authority has to take into account:
- Whether the applicant or site manager has been convicted of any relevant offence, or enforcement action. (A list of relevant offences is downloadable in the documents section.)
- Any previous refusal of an application for issue or refusal and the reasons.
- Any previous refusal for application of a relevant environmental permit.
- Any previous revocation of a scrap metal licence.
- Whether the applicant has demonstrated that there will be in place adequate procedures to ensure the act is complied with.
If the applicant is a company, the following people have to be suitable:
- any director
- shadow director.
In determining whether an applicant is suitable, the authority can consult:
- any other local authority
- Environment Agency (England)
How to apply
Please download and complete the application form below and return to us with the appropriate fee.
A basic disclosure must be enclosed for every person listed on the form.
For a collectors licences please also enclose two passport sized photographs, one of which must be endorsed on the back as a true likeness.