Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Money, benefits and grants information for young people with SEND

Advice about managing your money and benefits and funding you’re entitled to as a young person with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
Website survey

We want your help with improving our website so it is easier to use, and provides the information that residents need. Help us by filling in this short survey.

Benefits for people with disabilities

If you’re over 16, you may be eligible for personal independence payments to help towards disability-related costs. See what other benefits are available for people who are disabled or sick.

If you’re an undergraduate or postgraduate student, you can apply for Disabled Students Allowance.

Changes to your parents’ benefits

When you turn 16, the benefits your parents get will change.

If you are in your final year of school, the benefits that your parents get will not change until the end of the summer after year 11.

What happens after that will depend on what you are going to do after school. Your parent or carer needs to tell the HMRC what you are planning to do.

Find out about child benefit for 16–19-year-olds and working tax credits for people with children over 16.

Funding and grants

Search for one-off grants that you don’t have to pay back.

Funding for students

The Government offers a bursary fund for 16–19-year-olds in training or education and learner support for over-19s in education.

If you have a physical or sensory disability and are in further or higher education you can get funding for disability-related costs from the Snowdon Trust.

If you are disabled and in higher education, you may be eligible for a Special Support Grant.

If you are under 20 and have children, you can apply for a Care to Learn grant to help cover childcare costs.

Grants for people in work

The Government offers Access to Work grants that can pay for special equipment and adaptations or travel to and from work.

Find out about the national minimum wage and the living wage.

Paying for health and social care

Find out about: