Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Apply for replacement windows in conservation areas and listed buildings

Apply for planning permission to replace windows for a listed building or a property in a conservation area.

You will need to apply if you live in a flat or your house is in a conservation area which is covered by an Article 4 direction. All replacement windows in listed buildings will require permission.

Apply for replacement windows

Alternatively, print off an application form:

​You will also need to submit:

Correct certificate of ownership

If you live in a flat and do not own the freehold, or if you own the freehold jointly with other owners, you need to complete Certificate B which is on the back page of the application form

Site location plan

This is a map showing your house with two roads clearly visible. You can sometimes use a map which is part of your house deeds or buy one from a map provider.

The site location plan needs to:

  • show your property boundary outlined in red

  • be at an identified metric scale (1:1250 or 1:2500)

  • show the direction of north.

Existing elevation drawings

Alternatively, high-quality photographs may be submitted in place of existing building elevations.

  • Each photograph must have a title, e.g. Document 1 – front elevation, Document 2 – rear elevation.

  • Photographs must show each entire elevation where one or more windows are proposed to be replaced.

  • Each window to be replaced must be individually identified by a number or letter on the photograph.

  • Photographs must show clearly the window(s) including the style and glazing pattern of the existing windows.

  • Photographs showing the windows up close can be included. These must be identified by a number or letter corresponding to the main photograph.

  • Photographs where elevations are obscured e.g. by trees will not be acceptable.

Drawings of the proposed replacement windows

These must include:

  • a 1:20 scale elevation drawing of each window showing the glazing and opening pattern

  • detailed drawings (to a scale of 1:5) of the details (frames and glazing bars), in particular a horizontal section showing:

    • glazing bars and spacers (if any)

    • a vertical section

    • the window horn details (if any).

The contractor who is making your windows should be able to supply these drawings. These must be cross-referenced to the numbers or letters identifying the individual windows on the existing elevations or photographs. At the bottom of this page are examples of plans/photos which we consider to be acceptable as well as an example of the type of plans which we cannot accept. 

A heritage statement

This needs to describe the location of the property and the area, the existing and predominant design and type of windows and house and how the proposals take these characteristics into account. You can find guidance on how to prepare this at the bottom of this page.


If you live in a flat or house which is covered by an Article 4 Direction, you need to pay a planning application fee of £206. If you are applying to replace windows in more than one dwelling, the fee is £407.

You might also be interested in: