Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Social housing tenants who would like to move

If you would like to move from your current social housing there are several schemes you may be eligible for.

Housing Moves is the Mayor of London's housing mobility scheme that allows tenants of London boroughs or housing associations to move outside their existing borough to a different part of London.  

The Seaside and Country Homes scheme provides bungalows and flats for older tenants who want to move out of the city to a seaside or country location. Priority is given to tenants vacating larger properties. In order to qualify, you must be an existing council or housing association tenant and be aged 60 years or above.


If you’ve got more bedrooms than you need, we’ll find you a smaller, more manageable home – and give your old house to someone who really needs the extra space. Our package could include removal and connection costs. Please contact the Trading Places team if you are interested.


If you would like to move to a privately rented property in a different part of the country, our Fresh Start scheme could be for you.

Mutually exchange your home

If you are a council or housing association tenant you can arrange to If you are a council or housing association tenant you can arrange to swap your house or flat with another tenant, provided your landlord agrees. For more information on national schemes visit HomeSwapper and House Exchange websites.

Get a grant for buying a house

If you live in a Lewisham Homes or Regenter B3 property, we can give you a cash grant of £21,000–£44,000 to help you buy a new home.

Right to buy

If you would like to find out about right to buy please contact your housing provider.

You may also be interested in...

Housing benefit reduction for extra bedrooms
Your housing benefit will be reduced if you have unoccupied bedrooms.