Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Move into a smaller social house

If your social housing property is too big, get support to move into a smaller, more manageable home with the Trading Places scheme.
Repairs booking problems

We are currently experiencing issues with our repairs booking system and can only respond to emergency repairs.

We apologise for the inconvenience and are working to get the system up and running as soon as possible

Who can apply?

You can get help moving to a smaller property if you rent a social housing home and have more bedrooms than you need. This is called under-occupation.

What support you can get

Trading Places can help you with:

  • registering for Lewisham Find Your Home to find a new property
  • advice for bidding on properties
  • moving to another borough
  • swapping your home with another social housing tenant
  • dealing with landlords
  • dealing with housing benefit and welfare advisers
  • budgeting and debt advice
  • referrals to organisations that can help you find work
  • information on housing options outside of London
  • house viewings and during your move.

Find out about other housing options available to social housing tenants living in the borough.


Trading Places

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything