Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Deceased tenant

Let us know if a Lewisham Council tenant has died.

If you or someone else were living with the tenant when they died, you may be entitled to 'succeed' or inherit the tenancy. You can apply online to succeed a tenancy. Speak to your housing officer for more advice on succession.

Surrendering a tenancy

If no one was living with the tenant and you want to return the property to the Council, there are a number of things you need to be aware of to end the tenancy.

Surrendering a tenancy on behalf of a friend or loved one can be a difficult time. Please contact our team who can talk you through the process and can point you towards any support you may need.

Once you've registered the death with our registrar, we will require a copy of the death certificate. You can email this to us, call us or fill in the online form.

Contact us

Housing Management