Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Paying a sundry debt by freezing your bank account

​A third-party debt order is usually made to stop you taking money out of your bank or building society account. The overpayment owed is then paid to us from the account.

We can apply for a third-party debt order any time after we have registered the debt at court. It will be granted if you have failed to pay the amount of the debt when it was due, or failed to make one or more agreed payments.

We cannot apply for a third-party debt order against a joint bank account unless both parties are held liable for the debt.

When the bank or building society receives the court order, they will freeze the account immediately.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything