Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Paying a sundry debt by collecting money from your employer

​If you are employed, we can ask the courts to collect the money you owe directly from your employer.

This is called an ‘attachment of earnings’. It is not the same as a direct earnings attachment.

We will apply to the court for a judgement order, when it is granted we will contact your employer to start deducting the money from your salary.

We will only enforce an attachment of earnings if you have defaulted on at least one of your payments, owe more than £50 and are not:

  • unemployed or self-employed

  • a firm or a limited company

  • in the armed forces

  • a merchant seaman.