Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Repaying a sundry debt using proceeds from the sale of your house

​If you have not repaid overpayments and you are a homeowner, we can place a charge against your property so that when you sell it, the overpayment (including costs) will be paid from the proceeds of the sale.

We will make an application to the county court for a charging order. The costs of making the charging order will be added to what you owe us. Once an entry is made at the land registry confirming that the debt has been secured, you cannot sell the property without first repaying the overpayment. We will also claim statutory interest.

You can still make payments to reduce the debt. If you pay the debt in full, including costs, we will remove the charge.