Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Illegal street trading

Our policy is to oppose all street trading other than from areas that we've approved where highway safety will not be impaired. For such sites, you must have a trader's licence.

Putting up signs or stalls for the sale of produce within the highway, including grass verges, is illegal.

Produce can be sold from the land on which it is grown, but signs advertising such facilities must be clear of the highway and may need Planning Permission. Any unlicensed use of the highway for tables and chairs is an obstruction and may involve the police.

Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent may be required from the Council for the use of the land or building for a cafe.

There is a fee for this and planning approval must have been granted before an application will be considered by the Council.

A licence is needed from the Council as the Highway Authority, to put tables and chairs out on a public highway, whether it be on the street or a pavement or a pedestrian area.

There is a fee for this, payable before a licence can be issued.


Markets Service

Wearside Service Centre, Wearside Road, Ladywell, London, SE13 7EZ
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything