Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Freedom Pass for people with a disability

The Freedom Pass gives disabled people free travel on most public transport in London.

If you have a disability, you can apply for a Freedom Pass which offers you:

  • free travel on most public transport at all times

  • free travel on National Rail services within London after 9.30am

  • free travel on local bus services across England.

The Freedom Pass is paid for Lewisham Council and the scheme is managed by London Councils on behalf of all London boroughs.


You can apply for a Freedom Pass if your main residence is in the Lewisham borough and you have any of the following statutory disabilities listed in the Transport Act 2000:

  • people who are blind or partially sighted

  • people who are profoundly or severely deaf

  • people without speech

  • people who have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has left them with a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk

  • people who do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms

  • people who have a learning disability that is defined as 'a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning'

  • people who, if they applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, would have their application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) except on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

Apply for a Freedom Pass

You can apply for a pass online.

When you apply please include the following:

1. Proof of identification. We will accept:

  • UK driving licence (paper or photocard)

  • birth certificate if it shows your current name

  • current passport.

2. Proof of your current address. We will accept:

  • current council tax bill

  • tenancy agreement

  • current TV licence

  • recent (last three months) residential utility bill

  • recent bank / building society / credit card statement

  • recent benefits agency letter, including pension entitlement or occupational pension letter.

3. Proof of disability. We will accept:

  • a current Disability Living Allowance entitlement letter or PIP entitlement letter 

  • a certificate of visual impairment 

  • an audiogram

  • a medical letter confirming your disability, treatment and diagnosis. 

4. A current passport-quality head and shoulder picture of the person who requires the pass.

What happens next

We will assess your application and, if you qualify for a pass, your Freedom Pass will be posted directly to you.

If your pass is lost, stolen, damaged or faulty

If you have lost or damaged your freedom pass, you will need to pay £12 for a replacement. To get a replacement, contact the Freedom Pass helpline on 0300 330 1433 (local call rate, open Monday–Sunday 8am to 8pm) or visit the Freedom Pass website.

If you're not eligible

If you do not qualify for a disabled persons freedom pass but you:

  • live in London

  • you are aged 18 to 60

  • receive income support, employment and support allowance or jobseeker's allowance

  • and you are not getting any other free or discounted travel

you may be entitled to a bus and tram discount card from TfL.

Contact us

If you can't find the information you need, you can contact us online.

Useful websites


Freedom pass

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything