Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Houses in multiple occupation (HMO) – before you apply

Before you apply for an HMO, find out what you need to do.

From 1 October 2018, all HMOs with five or more occupants must have a licence.

You must let certain people know in writing that you have made an application to license an HMO or give them a copy of it.

Who you should tell that you have applied for an HMO

  • Any owner of the property to which the application relates (if that is not you) i.e. the freeholder and any head lessors known to you.
  • Any mortgage provider for the property to be licensed.
  • Any other person who is a tenant or long leaseholder of the property or any part of it (including any flat) who is known to you, other than a statutory tenant or other tenant whose lease or tenancy is for less than three years (including a periodic tenancy).
  • The proposed licence holder (if that isn't you).
  • The proposed managing agent (if that is not you).
  • Any person who has agreed that he or she will be bound by any conditions in a licence if it is granted.

What you need to tell these people (or organisations)​

  • Your name, address, telephone number and email address or fax number.
  • The name, address, telephone number and email address or fax number of the proposed licence holder (if it will not be you).
  • That the application is for an HMO licence under Part 2 of the Housing Act 2004.
  • The address of the property to which the application relates.
  • Lewisham Council's address.
  • The date the application will be submitted.


Private Sector Housing Agency

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything