Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Moving house if you are a social housing tenant

If you would like to move from your current social housing there are several schemes you may be eligible for.


If you have more bedrooms than you need, we can:

  • find you a smaller, more manageable home
  • give your old house to a family that needs the extra space.

Our package could include removal and costs for cooker, washing machine, landline, post re-directionContact Trading Places if you are interested.

Move to another borough

If you want to move to another part of the UK, you may be eligible for the Homefinders UK scheme.

If you are a victim/survivor of domestic abuse or a former rough sleeper, you may be eligible for the Housing Moves scheme to move to a different area of London.

Retire to the seaside or country

If you are over 55, you may be eligible for the Seaside and Country Homes scheme, which helps Londoners move into bungalows and flats outside of London.

Get help to move into private renting

If you want to move into private renting, we can give you up to £2,650 to help with the:

  • first month’s rent
  • deposit
  • moving costs.

See if you are eligible for the Fresh Start scheme.

Swap your house

If your landlord agrees, you can swap your house or flat with another council or housing association tenant

Buy your council home

The Right to Buy scheme allows you to buy your council or housing association home at a discount. If you are interested, contact your housing provider.

You may also be interested in…