Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Empty property grant

To help eligible empty property owners undertake repairs, improvements or conversion works to bring long term empty property back into residential use.

Amount available

  • grant will cover 50% of the eligible works up to a maximum of £20,000 per unit and up to a maximum £60,000 per scheme
  • for studio flats the grant will be capped at £9,000 per unit
  • large scheme applications above the maximum level of assistance will be considered on a case-by-case basis, at the discretion of the Housing Assistance Team Manager

Who can apply?

To apply, applicants must: 

  • be owners of empty property that has been continuously empty for a minimum of 6 months 
  • empty property owners who are leaseholders must have a minimum of 7 years left to run on their lease
  • offer nomination rights to the Council on completion of works for the duration of the 5 year grant condition period.

Non eligible applicants:

  • empty property owners convicted by the Council for housing related offences are not eligible for grant or loan assistance
  • where a prosecution is pending the application will be deferred until the outcome of the case is known

What this grant can fund

  • repairs and improvement works to bring an empty property back into residential use ready for reoccupation
  • works to improve energy efficiency at the property to bring it up to a minimum EPC rating of C
  • works to convert empty commercial or other premises to residential use and ready for reoccupation.

For full information on the grant and conditions, please read the Housing Assistance Policy.

How to apply

To make an enquiry or to start the grant application process email: grantsandloans@lewisham.gov.uk or call our Private Sector Housing Agency on 020 8314 6622.

To find out if a disabled person is eligible for a visit and assessment by an Occupational Therapist, contact the Community Occupational Therapy service direct on telephone 020 8314 7777.

Before the Council can decide whether to approve or refuse a housing assistance application, the applicant must submit a valid application. A valid application will consist of completing and submitting the following documents:

  • an application form
  • proof of ownership from the owner or landlord
  • two quotations from legitimate building contractors
  • details of any professional fees and/or other ancillary charges

Where necessary, the applicant may be required to submit further supporting documentation or information to help the Council reach a decision.


Housing Assistance Team

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything